Tuesday, August 13, 2013

John D. - Texas

John and his wife are celebrating 50 years of marriage this month. They have journeyed along a lifelong adventure together that has not only taken them across the country and back again, but has built a family legacy too, filling their hearts beyond what they ever imagined possible. 

~ Claire

I was the congregational song leader at our church and I had a good eye on the young women that were coming into the sanctuary. I spotted this beautiful brown-haired, brown-eyed gal and kept close eyes on her for some time.



Carol and I had a great three years of courtship. Our relationship just kind of progressed slowly over time. She was young, and I was in school and working full-time. Carol was such a loving girl. She’s easy to know, very warm with people. And her family knowing my family - that certainly helped a lot.

Later on, Carol and I looked for engagement rings together. There was a jeweler there in town that had a lot of confidence in me. He let me take diamond rings home to show Carol and let her pick what she wanted. I bought her a center-cut diamond solitaire. It was an expensive item for me back then, but she loved it. The people in town really got a big charge out of that ring because she was still in high school. Some of the other girls there noticed her ring and some of the fellas too!

Carol and I were married on August 16, 1963. We had a beautiful wedding. I felt wonderful that day; it was a wonderful experience.


Now we’ve got four little grandchildren, two from each of our daughters. We are a blessed family. Carol has been my lifetime partner in everything. She’s really been a blessing to me. She’s always been right at my side helping me. She’s such a strong influence upon our children, a caring mother, devoted to me and our children. It’s been a wonderful life with her. She’s always had a steadfast love. She’s always been faithful and had integrity of life. She’s had a real joy for living and caring for our family unit. It’s been so meaningful to me. She looks to others to see how she can care for them – it’s a marvelous thing today. It’s not a selfish love.




No comments:

Post a Comment